Search this Blog

Monday, September 7, 2009

#1 Skydiving

What better way to kick off my Twenty Five List than Skydiving?!

Skydiving has been on my list since there was a list. Originally it was #35 but it has made it's way to #1 on my Twenty Five things to do when I'm Twenty Five! I've thought about it a lot but never had a good reason or a good friend to do it with. Until the ripe young age of twenty five started creeping up and, since I had the day off thanks to Labor Day, I decided that's what I wanted to do to ring it in.

The decision went a little something like this....

KARLEY: What do want to do for your birthday?
ME: I dunno....camping maybe? Definitely a weekend getaway....but that's not all.... I want to do something special. Something I've always wanted to do but not something you can just do.... OOOOOHHHHH!!!!! SKYDIVING.
KARLEY: YEAH! I'll go!
KARLEY (to her husband on the couch): Honey, can I go skydiving with Sarah on her Birthday?
AL (without hesitation): Sure!
KARLEY (shocked at the lack of concern): What?! Are you serious! What about Xander!!!???!!!
AL: I'll watch him.
KARLEY: I meant what if I die!?
AL: You won't. Have fun!

My Mom's reaction:
"Oh, wow! You know, I just heard about this guy who's 'chute failed. And then his emergency one got tangled in that. But he was able to somehow maneuver himself over to some tin roofs and land on that. He broke his neck and his arm, and I think punctured a few ribs, but he's fine!!! Although he said he's probably not going to do it again for awhile...."

My Grandparents recation:
GRANDMA: Oh gosh!!!!! I'm gonna add that to my prayers!!!! Oh honey, be careful!!!!
GRANDPA: I hope you get someone cute to strap on to!

So the day of my birth arrived, and on 9/7/2009 Karley and I drove out to Long Island, signed our lives away (including but not limited to 3 pages of waivers and a video recording of us reading agreement to the agreements and signing everything), and prepared to jump 10,630 feet out of an airplane.

While we were waiting one of the Tandem Diver's, Carson, came over to our table and started chatting with us. He turned out to be just what my Grandpa had wished for and more. Cute AND Mormon! This was one of those "of course you are" moments. It is a running joke with my friends that I have an invisible LDS magnet on me because I meet people of my same religion at very non-religious events--like SNL, kids camp, and Skydiving. Though later we learned he's not so "MoMo" currently. Bummer! He was however a very qualified and skilled diver, and that's all that mattered because I ended up diving with him! :)

Karley dove with a really top knotch guy as well, Scott Plamer aka Palmer. In fact you may have seen him on MTV doing a stunt without a parachute on Jackass 3.

We were in very good hands and it was AMAZING!!!!!
The time came and I wasn't nervous until Carson started tightening all my straps and giving me my jumping instructions. That was when I looked out the window and instead of taking in the beautiful scenery as I'd been doing for the past 10 minutes of flight, it donned on me I would be jumping into that scene! "Cross your arms over your chest, put your foot out onto the step, and jump!" And that's what I did. Without hesitation. As soon as the door opened my moment of fear was immediately replaced with excitement and exhilaration. I pulled on my goggles and threw myself (and Carson) out of the plane.

It was craziest, scariest, coolest thing I have ever done in my life! I can't wait to see the DVD we took. I couldn't even take it all in. I was in complete awe as I free-fell belly first. Good thing I wasn't in charge of the 'chute because I was so wrapped up in the experience I completely forgot we were supposed to have a parachute until I felt it open and pull me upwards for a second! After that we glided around long island doing spins "Toy Soldier Style" with me getting to steer the parachute. In total the fall was probably 7 minutes long. Seriously 7 minutes in heaven. Absolutely incredible. If you're not afraid of heights, DO IT!!!!!!

That's me, way up in the Sky!!!!
Coming in for a landing!
And Karley not far behind!
Mission Accomplished, and a Tandem Freefall Certificate to prove it! :)
Long Island Skydiving Center In Recognition for Achievement Hereby Awards the Certificate of Tandem Freefall Skydive to Sarah who, on the 7th of September in teh year 2009, did embark on a most fantastic journey. Exiting high above the ground from an airplae in flight, casting fate to the wind and falling free. Descent was slowed and continued by parachute until landing safely, reunited with the Earth. This amazing leap of faith and courage is hereby recognized and acknowledged by the undersigned official representing the Untied States Parachute Association and skydivers worldwide with sincere admiration.
BOO-YAH!!!!!!! :)

1 comment:

Karley said...

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! It makes me get butterflies in my tummy again just reading about it! SERIOUS! my ears are red just cuz my heart started pumping hard remembering that whole experience. So amazing/scary/insane/BRAVE and just pretty freaking awesome. What a way to celebrate 25 years of of your bomb life. lovey.

ps- our faces look N-A-S-TTTT in the first frame of that last video! ha!