Search this Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

3 Dates in 1 Day

On Saturday Tom and I had a cultured whirlwind of back to back dates (okay there might have been a nap in between dates one and two).

Our first date kicked off bright and early at 8:30am as we jumped out of a cab and into a twisting line along 5th Ave and towards Central park. We were behind about 300 other people eagerly waiting to see this (at the Metroplitan Museum):
Directly in front of us in line was a woman with her 3 year old son, which we couldn't believe and were sure would be a disaster, BUT amazingly he didn't scream, cry or whine for the entire 2hrs as we inched our way inside. He was the quietest, calmest little boy  (or toddler for that matter) I've ever seen. No stroller, no games, no ipad, just a couple bottles and snacks and his Moms arms / shoulders when he got tired. Once inside, the next half of the wait was 2 1/2hrs and we weren't behind them for that part. I still wonder if the Mom gave up and left or if they both stuck it out...?

This weekend was the last weekend to see the exhibit and I had to see it no matter how long the wait. I guess that's the risk you take when you procrastinate, the no-matter-what risk. It wasn't so bad though. 2hrs outside, 2 1/2 inside and WORTH. EVERY. MINUTE. I guess when you've waited longer for things like SNL or Shakespear in the Park, this felt a bit like a lunch break.

I have never seen a more visually stunning, inspiring, or detailed show case not only of fashion but of art. We spent about an hour / hour and a half walking through and looking at each piece, be it clothing, headpieces, accessories, or video installations of previous runway shows (which in themselves were art on a cat walk). INCREDIBLE.  This hologram was one of my favorite installations. Like a dream. And here are a few of my favorite pieces (thank you internet, as we were not allowed to take photos).
I am so glad I got to participate! I even bought the Savage Beauty Art Book (complete with forewords, every piece of clothing in the exhibit and more, and quotes from McQueen on almost every page regarding his work). It is my first Art Book / exhibition book and I'm feeling very grown up and swanky about having it on my coffee table. It was a must. Even Tom enjoyed going and said he learned a lot about the real meaning of "fashion" as art and personal choice not as popularity and way to show off how much money you make. It's personal expression, and McQueen captured this perfectly.

EXHIBIT LINE BONUS: I met a girl about 3hrs into our wait who is from Turkey, here to study English, and after chatting for an hour it came out that she was looking for a room to rent, and our apartment just so happened to be in need of a new renter! Roommate for September: Check. (Super sad to be loosing Alicia, but happy for her and her boyfriend and their new apartment! That seems to be the trend around here...leaving for love...maybe I'll be next?!)

Our Second Date came at a more date-able time at 8pm that evening when we groupied ourselves to the Beacon Theatre to watch the Top 8 contestants from this season's new show The Voice perform Live. Remember how I became obsessed with this show a few months ago (and even predicted the winner!)? Well, as if watching it wasn't exciting enough, my awesome friend Rachel emailed me to let me know they were doing a show here and we got tickets before you say do-ray-mi. The show was so much fun. It has been far too long since I've been to a concert AND even though we were waaaayyyyy up in the balcony, we got bumped up to the Orchestra for free! Although it did smell rancidly like dog-poop-steam-roller-breath on my side of the isle that couldn't even keep me from having a good time (and I did move to the other side of Tom about half way through when I couldn't take it any more). Thank you Rachel for letting us know about this!

Last but not least, directly after the concert we decide to really be night owls and raced downtown to catch a late showing of Captain America. It was ok. Not nearly as good as the other flicks but probably not nearly as bad at Green Lantern (which we didn't see because I got bored just from the preview--was I mislead?). We stumbled home around 1:30am and would highly recommend a triple date day if you haven't tried it before.

4 comments:

Rae said...

You have the best attitude ever about that wait and Tom is the best boyfriend ever for doing it with you. So glad you guys saw it.
And so happy you loved the Voice concert! :) Just think, if you wouldn't have blogged about your love of the show I wouldn't have thought to email you about the concert.

Amy said...

impressive guys. maybe 3 {cheaper} dates in one day would be good. :)

and serious kudos to tom for joining.

Tom said...

Don't forget the cabbie that fell asleep at every light on the way home!! hilarious!

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

SO FUN! I'm jealous beyond belief! AND, we sell McQueen's Savage Beauty book at Anthro. Yeah, I've looked through it in awe just thinking I wish I could see this for REALS. Well, you did! LUCKY!!!!!!