Search this Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

NO RETURN (Poetry)



Take me back.
Back to the place where the waves crashed over me and washed away memories of things I never did.

Take me back.
To a time when love was a mushy-gushy word used only to try and capture the beauty of the barefoot mother getting ravished by her successful husband in the kitchen where the mac n cheese was burning.
And you knew they were happy.
And then the credits rolled.

Take me back.
Where I can still save myself from daily demons I refuse to unmask.
How did I get here, where do I go, what have I done, when will I finally see....
You?
Big words, small actions.
Bridges over trees, over rocks, over ground.
And if you could go back would you still be gone?
Would you still drive across, stub out that cigarette, and try to cross a threshold that would forever be your grave?

Take me back.
It’s simple.
Take me back.

Back to where, I don’t know.
Back to when, I don’t care.
Back to what, only time will tell.
How did I get here, where do I go, what have I done, when will I finally see...
Me?
Big words, small actions.
Bridges over trees, over rocks, over ground.

And if I could go back would you still be gone?
Would I be your passenger in spirit, blow out the matches of attempted fixation, and whisper “Turn around or go to sleep, but don’t fall here tonight”?

Take me back.

--S.L. 2007 [*919*]
All Rights Reserved

No comments: