Search this Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years



As we are all well aware, especially us New Yorkers, today marks the seventh anniversary of the attack and fall of the Twin Towers.

It pains my heart to read about it, think back on it, see memorial pictures, and even take a moment of silence each year. I remember that day so clearly in my mind. Where I was, how I found out, how the day progressed and I wasn't even in New York then nor did I know anyone directly effected. Now, I do. One of those people is my dear friend Nicole who lived here and witnessed the whole thing first hand. Every year she sends out an email reminding us how precious life is and saying a little something about her experience from 9/11. She lives in L.A. now, but her New Yorker spirit lives on and I'm so very thankful for the personal touch it has had on my life.

Here's what she had to say this year.....

To my dearest family and friends:

And seven years later - September 11, 2001 is still fresh in my mind. The tragedy of the past will never change but as we continue to live our lives daily may we take the advice listed below of Gordon B. Hinckley. I woke up at 530am this morning here in LA to go running before work and I flipped on Fox News to check out the 9/11 memorial coverage and first moment of silence. They began reading the names and I looked at the TV and my dear friend Skye was on the TV screen, down at Ground Zero reading the names of 9/11 victims. I thought, that is so fitting b/c Skye is an example of someone who is positively changing this world - she's set up a fund to help those in Africa and she makes trips out there to help build schools, etc. She is inspiring and exemplifies pure charity! New York isn't exactly known for it's hospitality and goodness but I've never seen such kind hearted, compassionate people as I did after 9/11. New Yorkers are tough! That was a tough time but like President Bush said today, "On a day when buildings fell, heroes rose."

This attachment has some disturbing pictures but they are real. I looked at it at my desk and tears just streamed down my face as I thought about the terror I experienced that day.

I moved this weekend and my closet space decreased as a result. My sister Britt was helping me and told me I had to throw out some of the 28 pair of jeans I owned....she picked up one pair and said, "Nicole, seriously we are tossing these." and I said , "No, you CANT throw those away, I bought those in the World Trade Center - I am never throwing those away." I proceeded to tell her, I'd never throw away the suit and heels I was wearing that day, either....I know I'm silly but they are symbolic to me and remind me that that day really did happen, as surreal as it was. Those heels brought me to safety :)

America has been blessed, we have been protected. Not because we are not hated or have not been threatened. As citizens, we don't have a clue about most of the threats going on behind the scenes but our nation has been safe and secure for seven years. I am so grateful for this. I am grateful to those that protect our nation and allow us to be free and free from terrorist tragedy on our homeland.

Life is precious and fragile. Tell everyone how much you love them, always. Never take your family and friends for granted and always have gratitude for all your blessings. Don't sweat the small stuff. I think that is an excellent way to honor those that were lost on this most tragic day. May we feel hope but at the same time, may we never forget 9/11/01.

May God bless you and may God bless America!

Love Always,
Nicole

“...the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding.... This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships...” Gordon B. Hinckley

And here are some links to memorial pictures and articles from today:

Newsweek

Yahoo Story

May we always remember.

No comments: