Search this Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

So what will your legacy be?

I finally made it out to Roosevelt Island. It only took me 4 1/2yrs!

I've gazed at it countless times with noble intentions of taking the Tram across the East River and exploring. Why I didn't do so when I lived close by on the East Side for a year and a half is unclear. I even have friends who live there. And yet...no.
Until today when Wakey! Wakey! (one of my Brooklyn band discoveries) played a show located on the 800ft wide and 147 acre spanning island.
I didn't make it over on the Tram, which I immediately regretted when it took me 1 1/2hrs via 3 different subways. Of course the trains were all aligned on the way back and it took a whole 25 minutes. Of course. Still, at some point, I am determined to ride in that box dangling from wires.

Roosevelt Live! Concert Series featuring Wakey! Wakey!
The turnout was small, making the show that much more intimate and enjoyable.
The grass left crisscrossed tattoos on the backs of my legs and I left my own crescent shaped prints behind.
Planes from LaGuardia flew overhead to unknown destinations I secretly wish I were going to too. Kind of poetic considering one of their songs is named after that airport.
Liquid strings vibrated under softened horsehair; violins mastered.
Annonymous ballerinas not yet in nursery school twirled to the tunes their families came to hear, and chubby cherubs attempted to walk by tuning their foosteps to each bass drum beat.
Rivers flowed on each side, and while roaming the island between set changes I had court side seats to hidden talent on a local basketball court.
Flowers grew in plenty, around street lamps that reminded me of Neverland. I believe in fairies.
Playgrounds echoed laughter, while benches offered pause to enjoy the serene foilage all around.

As I roamed the island and took in all the moments I was surrounded by, I couldn't help but reflect on some of my favorite lyrics, "You've straddled your fences, you've screamed no retreat. So what will your legacy be?" (War Sweater, Wakey! Wakey!) I've determined it will definitely be something worth living and leaving behind.

No comments: