Search this Blog

Friday, August 7, 2009

A Day in the Life

I LOVE being in the Hamptons. Backroads, rolling hills, century old cemeteries, beaches around every bend, and lush green decor as far as the eye can see. And that's just the outskirts, don't even get me started on the house. It's summer in paradise.

Here's a rundown of my day today:
8:30am, walk into the kitchen to: "Ooohhhh, I hear ZaDa!" (Hayden, 27 months)
"Sawah! I made alllll these posters (holding up about 10 hand drawn creations), you can pick any one you want!" (Jasper, 5)

8:45am: Drive the boys to the greatest Camp on the planet.
Hosted at the local middle school/high school that is quite literally in the middle of a forest, if you don't stay on the designated paths you'll either get lost, become closely acquainted with a tick, or end up sharing your lunch with a wandering deer.

9am Drop Off: Jasper blows a kiss goodbye while his other hand is cupped inside one of his counselor's hands. Hayden is just as eager pointing and excaliming, "There's MY class!" When we get inside he is timid, uttering quiet hellos, but not shy enough to stay away from the activity tables hosting paint, playdough, stamps, stencils, glitter, glue, etc.
9:30am: The timer on my phone goes off (to show Hayden it's time for me to go). Tears well up amid wishes for me to stay and play (very new--the first week he would kiss me and say goodbye without a second thought). I explain camp is for kids only and I'll be back with picnic lunch soon. I pass him off to his favorite counselor, Emily (who is getting a degree in education, and is back to student teach at the very high school she graduated from in 2006). Before I even reach the door his woes have subsided.

9:45am: Arrive in Amagansett to beach it up with my adorable new nanny friend Heidi.
We were set up by her boss, a Mom of Hayden's fellow camp-mate, Peter, whom we have daily after camp picnics with. This has happened to me twice and is the only kind of "blind date" I'm ok with. (Other days, I return to the house to get stuff done there; organizing, errands, stock up on household items, etc.)

11:30am: Pick-up Hayden who enthusiasstically flies into my arms squeeling "ZaDaaaa! I played in WaWa! So fun!" Then we make the rounds, "Bye Emmy! Bye Miss Eva!" and head out to the picnic tables, "I want seaweed and juice!" He hates chocolate chip cookies but give him a sheet of seaweed and he's happy.

11:45pm: Treasure hunt for things that have been left out from the day's activities and play with them! Today: sunglasses, a water pump, and an inflatable pool that hasn't been emptied yet.
12pm: The Music Major campers (yes, at age 6 you can start choosing majors for your camp session) set up and put on a show for everyone as they gather at picnic tables and eat the legendarily delicious food.
Today: Chili, BBQ Chicken, Cornbread, an array of veggies, apple cider, and ice cream--like your mother would make. AMAZING. This is what we talk about most after camp, the food. :)
The kids play their instruments flawlessly and their angelic little voices sing cover songs of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "The Climb".
I decide we are moving here immediately if not sooner.
Possible Daycare site? Hmmm....
12:25pm: All this fun is enough to wear even the most energetic 2yr olds out.
This from the child who says "No nap please" every day.
12:30pm: Pick up Jasper, who has spent the day building a GIGANTIC rainforest in his classroom. Complete with a larger than life tree, branches spanning across the ceiling, and massive trunk filling the center of the room. Painted butterflies, snakes, spiders, and parrots hang proudly from vines. (No picture I took would do justice)

1pm-3/3:30pm: Nap/Quiet time

3:30pm-5pm: Playdates, swimming, beach, parks, grocery shopping, water gun fights, bike riding, battery powered tractor driving around the grounds, arts & crafts, playing pirates, or whatever we decide is fun at the moment!

5pm-6pm: Dinner, Dessert, Reading/Coloring and then the day is done and I am off to have my own "playdates" with the "big kids".

It's the good life. :)

1 comment:

Karley said...

you are already the best mom in the world. your kids are looking down from the sky wanting to be in the place of those two boys right now! I dont blame them for being jealous. love you mama.