Search this Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

...and I'm a Mormon

These videos made me laugh, cry, and nod enthusiastically. I love that these are everyday people that you may or may not expect to be religious, let alone LDS, and yet they are! Because I know that more often than not, when I announce to someone that I'm LDS I usually have to follow up with an upbeat "Surprise!" because I don't know what else to say to the shock on their faces. I take that shock as a compliment to how "normal" I come off, considering Mormons seem to have that "weirdo / uptight / polygamist / can't ride on rollercoasters or have any fun whatsoever" stereotype of misgivings. And since there's nothing even remotely normal about me besides my religion it's funny to me that THAT'S what throws people off. I especially like that I am then able to shape and correct, for the better I hope, their opinions of what or who a "Mormon" is. Even if I'm not the shining example so many others are, I do my best! And for me, that's exactly the point.

These videos are my favorites. They're only two minutes long so if you have time watch them! If you want to see more there's a whole gaggle on YouTube.

For my part... I am a caregiver and a family gal. I am loyal and passionate. I am a travel junky and fully support taking naps. I am a girlfriend, sister, daughter, and granddaughter. I am completely unique. I am funny and spunky and love a good practical joke. My name is Sarah, and I'm a Mormon.

::I love this guy. He's not perfect and I'm not perfect and we both love motorcycles. I think we could be friends::


::You may need a tissue for this one, but it's very touching::


::I miss my skateboard circa 1992::

2 comments:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Love the post. My favorite part was your little paragraph about yourself. You are all of those things. And you are a MORMON!

Sara said...

Sar! - Those are beautiful! I think all of them made me cry. What a beautiful, beautiful thing. I love the many different perspectives and 'textures' of the members of the church. Thanks for sharing those. Love.