Search this Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

I Like You in London

To kick off our European Tour Tom and I started in London. I had been before for work, so it was new and exciting to go simply for vacation. To have my own itinerary and agenda and re-experience some of my favorite activities and sights with Tom was really fun.

We stayed with his over the top hospitable and incredibly gracious host of a friend, Jeff. Jeff has a huge, beautiful two bedroom apartment in Brixton, a neighborhood in London which is kind of like Harlem if comparing NY neighborhoods. It was perfect. We could easily come and go via bus or tube (subway) as we pleased, had this great guest bedroom to ourselves, and AAANNNNDDD Jeff made homemade bread for us in the mornings and he and his girlfriend played tour guide(s) for us around the markets in Camden. Perfect.

We had the cheapest lunch in Camden. 3 Euros for a full meal that was so delicious and authentic! I ate tartiflette, which is a french / polish dish made with potatoes, reblochon cheese, cream and lardons (like bacon). So good! We sat down overlooking a beautiful canal on these super cool seats that were motorcycle bodies, without steering wheels.
And on those motorcycle seats Tom & I took our first kissing picture (of what would soon be many).
We stayed in London for 3 1/2 days shopping, eating, walking / busing / tubing, sleeping in, and seeing friends. I got to see my friends Kat and Davi and their adorable little boy Jacob who has grown up into the cutest two year old since last time I saw him as a newborn. We saw lots of London sights but I'll just share a few pictures and put the rest in an album online for your viewing pleasure.

We walked the exterior of the White Tower and then across the Tower Bridge (which I had never done before) and were lucky enough to see a boat passing under, meaning we had to stop and wait for the bridge to lift and let the boat through. It was really fun to wave to all the passengers who were enthusiastically cheering and waving from below. In the Tower Museum we got to read about Tom's ancestors who have history in London and connections to the White Tower (sorry I suck for not remembering specifically). Of course we saw Buckingham Palace, the Canada Gate, Westminster Abbey, Trefalgar Square, rode the London Eye and watched the sun set at Parliament.
::Tower Bridge::
::My very own Prince in front of Buckingham Palace::
::On the London Eye. One of my favorite things to do.::
::Parliament at Sunset::
::That classic red telephone booth shot::
And here I am on the tube. Tom caught me on the way to the airport. We're touristy like that.
It was a lovely way to begin our journey. Even if I left three thongs short of what I came with, thanks to Jeff's locking dryer which won't let you open it until it has completely run the full cycle. Don't worry I brought extra knickers! Travel Tip: Don't do laundry in a foreign machine two hours before you have to leave for the airport. I guess I like to say "thank you for your hospitality" in my own special way. Cheers!

1 comment:

Alex said...

Looks like you had a blast, can't wait to here all about it! Cute pics!!!