Search this Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pucker Up in Paris

Oh Paris. Where do I even begin??!!

Lets start with how we got to Paris. You know in the movies where you see characters running frantically to catch their flight; cutting in line, jumping over the x-ray machine at security, knocking over innocent old ladies and young children with as polite of an excuse as they can mutter, and sprinting like they're in a marathon? Well that was us. In reality.

We left London on time, made our train, and were right on schedule. Until we showed up to Terminal 4 instead of Terminal 5. And of course Terminal 5 is the furthest terminal at Heathrow. And of course no taxi would take us there (waste of a fare), and it was only accessible by train. And of course by the time we found that all out, it ended up we had a slim fifteen minutes to get across the airport to check in before they closed the flight. And of course even our gate was the furthest gate at the furthest terminal. And naturally I was wearing flip flops and Tom was carrying a backpackers backpack. So we ran. Nay, sprinted like we've never sprinted before. Squeezed through narrowly closing doors, cut people off, slid under security ropes, practically threw our luggage at the baggage check lady, and weaved in and out of the masses of people staring at us and probably thinking "that's why you get to airport two hours early, you jerks!" If only we could have explained.

Then there were the three longest escalators of my life we had to run up to get to our gate. And of course Tom thought he'd try to throw in some humor by picking me up by the back of my pants, as I was run-climbing full speed, to "help" me up the stairs. I had that cartoon moment where my feet were literally moving as fast as they could, in mid-air. Which would've been really funny had I not actually been trying to get somewhere. And then he let go and my feet were no longer moving to the tune of the stairs and I fell. On the escalator. And you bet that I dropped a nice loud F-Bomb for all surveyors to hear. In case any one doubted we were crazy, that sealed the deal. And then we made it to our gate practically running past check-in, when the woman at the ticket scanner politely stopped us and said "Your flight's been delayed at least 45 minutes. Please take a seat." To which I shouted at the top of my lungs "Hallelujah!" And all the people who had been on time and eagerly awaiting to board probably weren't thinking happy thoughts about our joy over their delay. But... WE MADE IT!!!! And we can no longer say we've never gone running together. And after a short, delayed flight we arrived in Paris and had an absolutely perfect time.

We stayed at an adorable hostel in Levallois called The Hotel Boisierre. Levallois is right outside Paris and so easy to navigate and get to via subways. We had our own private room with full bathroom, on the top floor of the hotel. It also had a front balcony and back patio over looking the city! And free wifi, and cable TV! The back patio was also privately ours and we used it to enjoy croissants and sunshine and sweets when we weren't enjoying them in local parks. It was cheap, clean, cute, and quite romantic if I do say so.

Tom bought me this rose at the Eiffel Tower. It made a beautiful center piece for the next days' breakfast
I'll never be able to enjoy another croissant as thoroughly as I enjoyed them in France. Mouthwatering.
Local park hopping in the morning--they're so quaint and beautiful!
We saw all the major sights in two days and navigated the city quite well thanks to my french and Tom's map reading skills. It was so great being able to speak french everywhere. I used it three out of five of the countries we went to and it made a huge difference in how we were treated and how easy our experiences were. It was great! I will say Paris was pretty overwhelming. It's so BIG. We felt like little ants, despite our Manhattan dwellings. We will definitely need to go back again to really explore the various neighborhoods and museums.

First we went to The Louvre Museum. It happens to be closed on Tuesdays, and yep it was a Tuesday--dang it! But the outside courtyard is absolutely *amazing* so we were satisfied with that. Next time we'll catch the Mona Lisa.
From the courtyard we caught our first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. And then it hit me. I was in PARIS!!!!!! And yes I started screaming and clapping like a little girl. I just wanted to give that tower a great big hug!
And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I spotted The Wheel of Paris just ahead at a local carnival.
So we went for a ride...and make-out sesh. The view was astonishing. The kissing wasn't bad either but I'll save those pictures for the album. ;)
Of course after a ride like that we be-lined for the Eiffel Tower itself. And we were not disappointed. It's every bit as enchanting as you would imagine. Especially when you're with that someone special that makes your life one big enchantment.
Yes, he's mine.
Did you know you're supposed to kiss as you walk under the Tower? I was unaware, but it's pretty much the best tradition EVER!

Naturally we got a little hungry during all of this walking around, so we stopped at a Godiva shop. I'm not a big chocolate person, but boy has Europe completely changed my thoughts on the subject. This shot was only the beginning of what I would consume over the next six days. And I've got the extra pounds to prove it!
Then we toured the local cathedrals. Tom loves cathedrals so our trip was full of religious pit stops and breathtaking architecture. It is astonishing what people could do in the 1800s without any of the technology or equipment we have today. It makes me feel like we're not using as much of our brain power or creativity as we were in "the good old days"...

Basilique Sacré Coeur (Sacred Heart Basilica) sits high atop a hill overlooking all of Paris and further. As far as the eye can see. Inside is equally as beautiful. It's enormity couldn't be captured in a single shot but there are some amazing photos online if you want to look.
And of course, Notre Dame. I could easily get married in either of these gorgeous structures.
Then, a stroll down the Champs-Élysées. "Oh! Champs Elyseés!" Does anyone else know this song? Or is it just me? Cause I was singing it allllll the live long day, but no one was joining in... I loved it before and I love it even more now.
The Champs Elyseés runs right into the Arc de Triomphe, our last sight before bidding The City of Light adieu.

1 comment:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

It looks so fun. You guys are wonderful, and the pictures were great! It was WONDERFUL TO SEE YOU BOTH!!