Search this Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Birthday Threats

Today, as I was squeezing the boys back into their fifteen item day-after-a-snow-storm outfits after their gymnastics / gymjitsiu classes, I overheard this tantrum exchange from daughter to mother:

DAUGHTER (about five or six years old and angry crying about something she did not have her way with): Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! (sob, sob, sniff, sniff) Mommy, I'm so mad at you that I am NOT getting you anything when your birthday comes. Do you hear me??!! NOTHING.
MOTHER: Calmly trying to keep her wits, though steam was clearly swirling out her ears, as she attaches item number thirteen of her daughter's fifteen itemed outfit and strong breathes through her nose in that classic attempt to keep from saying something regrettable.
DAUGHTER: Do you hear me?! I said NOTHING. You. Are. Not. Getting. ANYTHING. For. Your. BIRTHDAY. Humph!

I couldn't help but cover my mouth in a nearby sweater to muffle the appreciative chuckle for both parties. On the daughter's part, the fact that the worst thing she could possibly say or think of was not giving her mom a present on her birthday speaks both to her sensitivity and her innocence. And of course I sympathized with the mother as she gritted her teeth and hastily got out of there with her screaming child in tow. I wanted to pat her on the back and say "Some days are just a punch in the bees balls, arent' they!"

No comments: