Search this Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gimp Life: Week 2

When my foot heals, I need to find this spot and take a walk all over it.


Until then, I haven't been walking anywhere, because my surroundings look like this:
Ice-walks and snow-globe streets. At least the snow is pretty (especially in Central Park); the ice is just plain out to get us all.

Earlier this week, before things got nasty AGAIN, I had my second Dr.'s appointment and things are looking good. My four little toes are fading to a blue-ish-purple eggplant color that you can kind of see through the wrappings.
My big toe is a bit shorter than my little toes, which is common, but it won't hurt anymore to walk and it's straight, so I don't even care. The funny thing is, my big toe (the one that was actually sliced open, broken, and pinned) doesn't have a single bruise and the bruises on my other toes end exactly at the bottom of the toe, so my foot and the incision look totally fine and you'd think my other toes had been run over. The incision is starting to heal, but is still very fragile so getting it wet remains a big no-no. This has been super difficult for me to accept. I'm a really bad sick or injured patient. Unless I can feel pain or my body really can't move, I will insist on living my life in a regular manner even if I'm supposed to be taking it easy. Lets all hope I never have to be on bed rest.

I'm not in pain anymore, except at night a little after a long day, and I can move pretty well now, but with this weather I haven't been able to use that movement to get anywhere. Both yesterday and today I've had to stay indoors because I physically cannot go outside without getting wet. It's just wet everywhere. The rain turned everything to puddles yesterday, and then last night it all turned to ICE. Today it's a combo of rain / ice which I thought I could maneuver through (ice is drier than snow, rain, or slush right?) but even I had to give in at the front door when I saw people skating by in their boots and coming into the building soaking wet. I had to admit defeat.

This means no work or school for me. Even though I tried convincing work I could give coming in a good attempt if the rain would let up, they gave me a reality check with:

Are you INSANE? Do you have windows in your apartment???? This is the worst day of weather of the whole year! The corners are ponds and the sidewalks are ice skating rinks. And yesterday I saw two men slip & fall on the sidewalk, so this is certainly not something for you to be out in. Just stay home and dry today. We will see you tomorrow. -H

So here I am, stuck indoors. Tom keeps trying to tell me it's a blessing, and to enjoy it, and that that's what sick days are for and I have plenty of them (I use about one a year, if that). It is just so hard for me to be stuck in one place when I know I'm supposed to be elsewhere and I am perfectly capable of being there if it weren't for all this bad weather. I'm trying to be productive though. I am so over TV and movies I stopped watching last weekend, which means I have time to focus on my "To-Do" list of cleaning, sorting, writing, researching, filing taxes, and calling family. I guess it's not so bad. I just miss the boys and doing my job!

February 15th is my scheduled "you're healed!" day. Or at least "you can wear a loose fitting tennis shoe now!" day. The countdown begins...

Stay warm and dry everyone! If you live in CA or AZ, I don't even want to know about it.

1 comment:

HereBeDragons said...

Errr. I maybe...don't?...live in SoCal?