Search this Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Day I Met a Pixie

A couple weekends ago I took a little drive with some friends and devoted parents to meet this adorable little one:
(Note: All pictures are from Reagan's Blob and usually shot by Jake, who is amazing!)

Her name is Piper and you may remember me mentioning her (and her super awesome Mama) before. Piper has a rare disease called CCMS and since no one can explain it better than Mama Reagan, I suggest you visit her blog's FAQ's page to know more. Even on tough subject like this, Reagan explains things simply and with a relatability and sense of humor that is unique and admirable.

After following Reagan's blo(b)g for about a year now, as I became better friends with her and Jake, I have been so badly wanting to meet their nearly four year old daughter. Schedule's aligned and finally, Tom and I got to be very lucky guests and admirers at "Piper's House"(Blythedale Children's Hospital)!

I fell so in love with that Pip! She's like a real live pixie! Tiny and FULL of spunk. Apparently she was a pixie for Halloween in her younger years. I didn't know her or her family then, but I can only imagine the cuteness! Although Piper can't talk, she has no problem getting across what she wants, getting to where she wants, or reaching / climbing / rolling / walking to get to who she wants. Her curiosity is insatiable, her snuggles impossible to resist, and her body strength shocking. I mean, that girl could wrestle me to the ground by sheer force in seconds if she really wanted to. In all her skinny-mini-twenty-pound glory! I was amazed. While she is almost four years old, she is about the size of an eighteen month old, but taller I'd say. She's got height! And super strength. One of my favorite recent stories of her strength is in this Piper versus the Piano story.

She is full of life, love, and happiness and a blast to be around.
Especially as she is learning how to walk!
We walked with her in the halls, and down to the cafeteria where there are huge windows she likes looking out of. I worried she might be shy or not want to play with me, but she had no reservations! She took turns sitting in my lap, climbing all over me, playing with my jewelry, studying my face, and was happy happy the whole time. She was excited to see Reagan and Jake and fascinated about the two newcomers they had brought along. It was adorable.

I'm so curious as to what will happen when as she gets faster and faster on her feet. Will she try to pull out her vent and run for it?! Reagan always writes about how sneaky she is and the silly faces she makes (p.s. that links to some of the best pics!), and there is no doubt that girl is a smarty pants. I can't wait to watch (read about) her continuing progress and see what she'll do next! She's a super special one, that Piper. Given to some super special people.

I felt so inspired and uplifted after being around her sweet personality. I look forward to reading about the latest happenings via Reagan's Blob, and every time I do I can't help but feel inspired and uplifted all over again. Sometime's the updates are hard, or sad, because it's a tough situation even on the good days, but Reagan and Jake handle it so well, and with such love and support as a family. They love Piper so much, and are so positive and up beat, that you can't help but cheer them all on and personally appreciate the milestones and stories as they go.

I hope we can go back and play with Piper again soon!
Thanks Reagan and Jake for sharing your family time with us!

2 comments:

Turbo said...

You are so nice, Sarah. Thanks for coming with us to visit. Have a great weekend!

Rae said...

You said everything in this post I wanted to when I blogged after meeting Piper. So wish I had your eloquence!