Search this Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yogi Sarah

Let me start by stating for the record that I am not very flexible. I was in a prior life (my ten year old life of gymnastics and splits on command), but not so much anymore. After years of living in New York the tension has gotten to me and while I love a good stretch, my body isn't so stretchy anymore. Enter my curiosity about yoga, which I satisfied tonight for the first time! It was awesome. On my list of to-do's once my foot healed was to try out yoga with my [prior dancer and definitely flexible] roommate Meaghan. CHECK!

We attended a yoga class at Yoga to the People, which I highly recommend. Donation based (suggested $5) and judgement free, Yoga to the People lets you get your stretch on in an environment that is encouraging and calm. Even in a room of thirty plus people (guy / girl ration was almost even in my class, if you care). Another great thing about these yoga classes is that they're affordable and completely based on what your body is comfortable doing. For a first timer like me this was the perfect setting to introduce myself to how it works and test my abilities. Which, surprisingly, are still pretty able! I felt equal parts challenged and capable.

I didn't really know what to expect, but my expectations were to get worked. Which I definitely was, but in a surprisingly relaxing way. The hour passed so quickly and I felt completely rejuvenated when I left. I'm ready to go again!

My favorite part was during the last ten minutes when the lights went out and everyone was relaxing and winding down. It's a time for meditating or focusing on your breathing and just letting your body settle. It felt so good. With the crazy mid-March flurry storm that just blew in, the backdrop to our cool-down was some powerful thunder and lightening outside which, at the risk of letting out my inner Nor-Cal hippy self, was an awesome soundtrack to being in tune with our bodies and their place in this vast universe.

As we drew deep breaths and let ourselves "sink" into the floor, the Yogi running the class quietly recited this quote to us, which I have adopted as a new favorite for sure:

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder

I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

--George Bernard Shaw

And then we went out for Falafel's at Mamouns! It's so yummy and affordable that it's even featured in the book 1,000 places to see before you die. Which I have and will be crossing off, thank you! It was my first falafel experience and I quite enjoyed it. I had three falafel balls (usually you get them in a pita but I just wanted the balls straight up!) and some lentil soup. Delish! There are still soooo many new foods I have yet to try in this City. Last year it was the Gyro (lamb gyro = life changing), and this year it's the falafel. Yes, I have been missing out.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a good work out that will also center and relax you (and a quick dinner you can pay for with coins from the couch), I highly recommend trying Yoga (at Yoga for the People if you can!) followed by falafel's at Mamoun's. May the force be with you. ;)

No comments: