Search this Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

#5: Back to School

When I was nineteen I made the decision not to get a degree. Not never, but not for awhile. Instead I chose to study everything I was interested in, except the obvious, and enjoy getting educated only with the goal of education for myself, not necessarily in one specific field. I did a year of Sociology and realized my life is already that of a Social Worker so my day job probably shouldn't be. Then I got my EMT license, but didn't want to be a Paramedic nor ride around in a rig for twelve hours without much to do besides transports. I catered to my artistic side by majoring in Photography, minoring in Drama, and ending up in NYC for an advanced acting program that was all kinds of fun. All just for the heck of it! I lack the talent, drive and dedication to be a good actress, but I definitely enjoyed learning about the craft and have such deep admiration for those who do it.

I've known, since I was little, that I would work with kids. I wanted to be a Pediatric or Delivery Nurse for most of my childhood. Then, when I was eleven, my downstairs neighbor opened a daycare and I knew without a doubt that someday I would open one, too. It was obvious that I would study something involving children and, since I'm one to go against the grain, that was why I wanted to study everything else but. I wanted to be sure. I wanted to know what else was out there. Study all my other aspirations and know that at the end of the day I was doing what I loved, not merely what my degree was in.

So, back to my nineteen year old days, I got my first nanny job and began to establish the career that I wanted. It made more sense for me to pursue it and make money rather than loose the experience, connections and money only to wait four years to do what I was already doing without all those things. It was a tough choice. Especially since education is so important. In most fields you can't get far without it. A lot of people disagreed with what I was doing, expected me to fail, and what I saw as a career they saw as an uneducated back-up plan. Many of them finished their degrees and are now unemployed or unsatisfied with the field they chose. It happens all the time. I didn't have the time or money to risk it, so I waited until I knew for sure what I wanted my degree in. It was a big risk, and I know how lucky I was to move up the ladder of success while "doing it all backwards".

Guess what? The time has come, I figured it out, and I'm going back to school! I decided that as part of my Twenty Fifth Year I should begin to finish my degree. I don't have a deadline of when I need to finish or any grand plan. I just want to work towards getting it done. Can anyone guess what it's in? Yep, Early Childhood Education. And I'm so stoked!! I think having a degree is really important, as long as it means more than a piece of paper that somehow deems you instantly "successful" or "better". For me it's about the accomplishment of working hard to be as knowledgeable as you can about something you are passionate about, and then sharing that knowledge and passion with those around you. It's about making that area of personal expertise better for everyone.

In October I applied to school, got accepted, transfered credits, and went through the process of placement tests. I only had to place in Math. My reading and english are far above par, but I'm sure they looked at my Math scores and thought "Lets see if she's still this stupid". Yes, yes I am! I HATE Math. It has always been the bane of my schooling existence. I have to work really hard at it and when I don't understand it that makes it even harder. Testing day came and I couldn't help but laugh at the wonderment of just how badly I'd do. You're supposed to score at least thirty five. I scored nineteen. Guess who gets to be in the Kindergarden Math Class for college students?! The best part? It's actually really challenging for me! My high school best friends would greatly appreciate this. Both of them are largely responsible for helping me pass the first time around. Hours upon hours of studying and tears went into those passing grades. But I did it! And I like a challenge. So bring it on Math! I'm gonna kick your sweet numerical numb-chucks.

School has begun and my day planner is bursting at the seams. I am now a full time student taking twelve credits, on top of my full time job, my church calling organizing weekly Family Night for thirty plus singles, continuing my regular volunteer work, and balancing a new relationship. I refuse to sacrifice Friday Date Nights, thank you very much. Not to mention moving the same week classes began. Busy? Uh...yeah!

But you know what? I love it! I love being challenged. I love learning. I love understanding things I didn't quite get before, or struggling with things I should know but for some reason just couldn't retain. Math is hard, but I got 90% on my first homework assignment. BOO-YAH! Ask me how I'm doing mid-semester though... I really shouldn't brag just yet. English requires the most dedication and will be graded the toughest, but luckily it's one of my favorite subjects. I pity the Math lovers who hate English, cause this class is tough. I feel your pain number geeks. Another consolation is that the professor is cute (cause I have to see him at the break of day and I like waking up to a nice view). I haven't written an essay in about six years, but blogs the size of essays count, right? Early Childhood 101 is way too easy. Although the teacher is one of the most caring and considerate college professors I've ever come across, he's a total a push over who loves run on sentences and tangents and often forgets to actually teach. Luckily he doesn't care much about absences as long as the work gets done; which means I don't necessarily have to give up half my Saturdays in order to get an 'A' in the class. That's something I can get on board with.

Ah, education. With everything I've done without a degree, just think what I can do with one!

7 comments:

Amy said...

You're full of surprises girl... an EMT license? Glad to hear you're back at school, as you said, it's amazingly enriching to study something you're passionate about. So far I think I've only learned I'm not passionate about economics... but I do like the languages side of my degree, and being back in GDL is great because I can study whatever interests me. So it's good being back, but would be nicer if I could pop over to Tlaquepaque and see ya! Look forward to a mid-semester (or if things are really crazy... end of semester) blog to see how you're getting on! :)

saludos,
Amy

Elisa said...

CONGRATS!!! I am exactly that person that you described, rushed to get through school and feels like she wasted her undergrad degree in something I don't care at all about. So now, after many years of not being in school, I'm going back too! In fact, in my other window open on my computer is my independent study math class that I can't figure out a problem, got a little fed up with, and switched to read some blogs while I think. Thanks for the encouragement and wonderful positive example!

Tracy said...

Sarah, I think your "unconventional" way of getting your education should definitely be given more credit. So many people really should do it your way, but tend to cave into the pressures of family and society. You are a great example of doing things the right way for the right reason. I just think you are amazing!

Good luck in school, and if you need help in Math I have an expert husband who is a fabulous teacher. Not just some know-it-all professor of math who can't teach, because he really can. Give us a call!

Love you!

gpbiggs said...

Hey Squeakers,
I was going to say good-luck, but I don't think you'll need that, you already have what you need, a great attitude, a great goal, and perserverance. Have fun. You know what they say about busy people, they get the most done. Remember the Sabbath is there for a reason, use it to your advantage to put your life in perspective of what you need to do to accomplish your goals. We saw your mom a week or so ago at the temple with many of her ward members. That is the best place to see old friends. Have a great week with school. Sister Biggs. PS. I read your blog off of Tracy's

Cammy Fuller said...

Way to go. I love your very positive approach to education, and your method, too! How awesome it is to really know what you want to do and find the best way to accomplish it. Hooray for your attitude, fortitude, good humor and love of life. You are truly a remarkable person. Thanks for blogging. It is fun catching up with you after all these years. Take good care of yourself, and enjoy the journey.

Amy said...

I guess I can't be outdone by my mom or my sister. Just got to remind you that you're AMAZING! Miss you and love you and cheering you on. I love hearing about your adventures. Remember that you are loved and adored around the globe!

Krista said...

I'm so proud of you! Xoxo