Search this Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Crying like a School Girl

School is going really well. Like, really, really well.

This week's great accomplishment: I received a 100% score on my latest math test--something that has NEVER before occurred. Yips! (Like yippee but doggy style. You know "yip! yip!". Who says there can't be more than one style to doggy?) It was kinda hard for me to feel too proud because I really understand this course, have been doing all the homework, attend class regularly, and if I had gotten anything less than 95% I honestly would've felt like an idiot. Still, only an idiot would say "Oh, yeah, one hundred percent shmundred percent" and an idiot I am not, so of course I do feel proud and completely own the possibly childish behavior of magnetizing the test to the fridge.

Speaking of childish, what has kept my brain very abuzz this month is my Early Childhood Course. It is an online course so I have never met the professor or students, but we correspond frequently via email and Blackboard and have seen "profiles" of each other. The assignments and course work is no less than in a classroom, in fact it tends to be a bit more because there's a lot of reading to do when a lesson is not being taught in person. The projects are more in depth and due dates are frequent. It involves a lot of paper writing and field observation. Luckily both of those are things I enjoy, particularly when it comes to anything child related and especially when it comes to this semester's topic of Special Needs. I've learned so much already and I have a deep respect for parents who are willing to get their children the help they need and deserve at an early age, as well as the teachers who care so deeply and work so hard to educate those with minor to severe learning disabilities.

My latest project was to observe a class, write a five page report, and put together a ten page slide show. I observed an AMAZING school (The Stephen Gaynor School) in my neighborhood that focuses on language / reading disabilities for average to above average intelligence kids. Basically their focus is on children who have a hard time with speech and reading in the various forms those difficulties come in. These tend to be low grade learning disabilities that do not usually affect intelligence--particularly at this school--, just how to express and retain words / information; something that needs more focus than a regular school can give after about age six, because children begin to fall behind (in reading--which stems to all other subjects) and their peers are not as patient in trying to understand them (with speech). I absolutely loved the school, their approach and philosophy. I often have a tough time appreciating / understanding the methods (particularly the alternative ones) of private schools, but I could not have been more impressed with the way this school focused on its students individually within a group and how the students responded. It was a truly awesome experience.

On my way out, the Head of Admissions Director informed me they're opening a pre-school in the Fall of 2011 and asked me to please keep them in mind when I decide to send out my resume, as she would love to interview me further for a position with them! Hayden (my youngest little guy I take care of) is three and a half and has a really difficult time with speech. Thankfully he works regularly with a speech therapist (and me) and improves daily, though still has a long way to go. I thought, "Getting to hang out with lots of "Hayden's" all day and help them with their words?! Heck yeah I'll submit a resume!" We shall see...

Anyways, I observed, wrote my paper, and put together the slide show. It was a lot of work, but so interesting in the process. Tonight, I got the following email from my professor:

I only have words of praise to you for doing a commendable job on this assignment. You have exceeded my expectations on this assignment, and I'd like to encourage you to keep up the momentum. I believe you will be an exceptional teacher. It is important to share your work with members of your group, because it is inspirational. Grade: A+

I don't know why, but it totally made me tear up! Yeah, real college-like, I know. I'm not even PMS-ing so really I have no excuse. I guess it was because it's a compliment coming from someone who has never met me, who I hadn't won over with my air of competence or genuine love for children that people tend to pick up on immediately. This professor didn't have to email me at all, he could've just posted the grade and said "Well done". I got teary because his brief praise made me feel more solidly than ever that, "Yeah! I kick ass at this kid stuff!". That I am doing what I'm supposed to be. Even if sometimes people don't listen to my advice or take me seriously, I do know what I'm doing (thank you fourteen years of experience), I will (do) make an awesome teacher, and my hard work to seal that fate in writing (aka a diploma) seems to be paying off!

I'm sorry if I seem full of myself right now. If anything I just feel really good about being good at what I love and receiving some unexpected recognition. I guess that A+ went straight to my head. I'll make sure to eat some humble pie tomorrow. Which luckily is the only kind of pie that doesn't go straight to my thighs. Bonus!

On a more serious note, to parents or ones-to-be, please know: There is no shame in having your child evaluated if you think he / she is not meeting the milestones they should be. It takes courage, selflessness and some major love to admit that your child may need more than what you can give him / her. Please realize it is not about you nor a negative reflection on you as a parent or your child as a child. It is in a child's best of best interests to have any developmental concerns evaluated. The earlier the better. An evaluation can never hurt. Better safe than sorry! It's also a good idea to have more than one at different ages and stages if you feel like something still isn't right although nothing was conclusive originally. It will benefit a child's life tremendously to get the help they need and deserve as soon as possible. From speech to reading to behavior to Autism to ADD to Cerebral Palsy, no disability deserves more or less attention than another. Especially when it comes to learning and growing. Early intervention doesn't mean something is "wrong" with your child. It just means they may need a little extra help and care. How lucky for them to have parents / caregivers who want them to have it!

No comments: