Search this Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Hot Ballers

Last night we improv'd a last minute date night because I had completely forgotten about a Groupon (oh the geniusness of that site!) I bought about five months ago that, of course, was on the edge of expiration. Oops! With a bad foot, mid-terms, and full schedules for both of us, real date nights (aside from dinner and a movie, which we are pros at!) have sort of fallen by the way side lately. This last minute push to get out and do something more active than usual was just what we needed to ring in Spring. (Or so the calendar claims--Mother Nature apparently has a vendetta no one knew about). I am ready for all kinds of fun times out of the house, starting with: BOWLING! Woot-Woot!
Lets take a moment for the coolest bowling shoes I've ever worn. Yep, I'm serious. I loved the colors (I'm used to boring brown), they were comfy, and they didn't even smell bad! Always a plus.

Tom and I had never been bowling together, or even in NYC, so this was a new experience for both of us. We went to Bowlmor Lanes in Union Square, with all the other last minute Groupon-ers, and had a blast!

Tom is really sporty and competitive, which makes beating him even more satisfying (because it doesn't happen much for me--ha!). I tend to be more fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants and like to smack-talk myself into silly bets. It's a good combination for fun times. What I didn't know going in to this was that Tom took bowling classes as part of his physical education in Calgary. Ugh. Canadians. So he had a leg up before we even hit the lanes. And he hit em strong!
I've never been super good at bowling, but not horrible either. Medium. Could always keep up with friends and have a good time without feeling like a doorknob. However, I hadn't played in about 2yrs so my mo-jo was in hiding. Tom's mo-jo cup, however, overflow-eth. Especially considering he also hadn't played in years. He started kicking my trash immediately. Granted, I was easy trash to kick. My first game was awful! I could not stay out of the gutter to save my balls, while Tom was hitting strikes and splits all over the place. I wish my little pal Jasper had been there (he loves bowling) because he would have easily and fairly beaten me and had bragging rights forever! Tom was such a supportive champ though and even gave me a few pointers that were really helpful and got me back on track. Thanks babe!
Round One ended in a depressing defeat:
Kick Az: 34 Krash: 101
I'll let you be the judge of who was who.... :S
Round Two was much better and I held my own, finishing with a 94. booyah!
It was good times. I could not get a strike for the life of me (never hit one the entire night), but I was a pro at hitting consecutive nines, which I think takes major talent my friends, so don't discount my skills just yet. I'll be back for more; I can't let Tom off that easy!

2 comments:

Rae said...

You are the cutest.

Amy said...

okay, i seriously looked at the shoes first and thought you just bought matching shoes! def cool for bowling shoes. the smell? hmm, not sure i would have gotten that close ;) fun times!

i want to see the details of the april fools joke!