Search this Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Turning 27: Sparkles and Masks Included

A couple Wednesdays ago I turned twenty seven. Eeps! According to this I am now in my late twenties, but here it says your mid-twenties lasts much longer. So I guess depending on the day and how aged I feel I get to choose. 

I received so many happy wishes, cards, notes, and calls. It was really nice--thank you! 

I celebrated a day early at work, and my boss gave me the most glittery shoes you've ever seen (Gizelle Glitter Platforms) in addition to a beautiful fall sequin cardigan that I've been wearing almost daily. My little weekday munchkin sang a beautifuly toddler voiced Happy Birthday and we shared some delicious purple cake. In addition to being real fun and snazzy, the shoes are actually quite comfy, though I have yet to figure out when / where / with what to wear them... They remind of what Dorothy would've worn had she landed on top of a witch in NYC instead of in Munchkinland. There's no place like New York! 
The day of my birthday was calm and quiet. I didn't have to work so I was able to sleep in, make lunch plans with a long time high school friend in town from Montreal, and then (highlight of my day!!) go see "my boys" Jasper and Hayden after their first day back to school. I hadn't seen them in about a month and a half and I was missing them TERRIBLY, so my gift to myself was a two hour visit and wrestle sesh. I loved every moment. I swear they grow even faster when I'm not around every day. Jasper is now 7 1/2 and in 2nd grade and Hayden just started pre-K (he's 4 1/2). At their school they don't have grades, so technically they're in the VIIs and IVs groups and both of them go from 9am-3pm (hence my departure--school stole my job!). 

I scored some awesome first-day-of-school drawings from Jasper (remember when the hardest thing you did on the first day of school was draw? Ah, the good ol days) and almost beat Hayden in a Pokemon fight, except my guy's arm fell off and I got destroyed. Hate it when that happens!



After my drop-in play date I met up with Tom and he took me to a unique and audience-interactive show called "Sleep No More" at the McKittrick Hotel. I had been wanting to go for a long time and was so eager to see for myself what all the hype and intrigue was about. It was definitely unlike anything I've ever seen or experienced show wise. It was fascinating, exhausting, confusing, entertaining, remarkable, and powerful. The set was breathtaking. Six floors of rooms upon rooms of detailed design and awesomeness. I can't even describe it. The entire audience wears masks, and there is no talking allowed. Comfy shoes are a must too as there are lots of stairs and you're on your feet the whole time (but you can leave or go sit at the bar on the 2nd floor anytime you want). The actors interact with each other, and sometimes audience members (they even take select ones into hidden places and rooms!), but you only see what's going on if you can catch them / follow them as they rush up and down and in and out of the numerous rooms and floors of the hotel. It's kind of like a Haunted House for adults. You're fairly confused and freaked out but you can't pull yourself away because you have to know what's going on! 

For the first hour and half or so I was just smitten by exploring every room, which is also interactive and allows you to open things, read things, knock on things, and discover the world that has been created for the audience. Then Tom and I decided to follow (meaning run and chase) the actors and try to figure out what the show and storyline was. Following them lead to some pretty crazy scenes, and also even further confusion, though still really cool. We still have no clue what was going on, though we do know it was in some way connected to Macbeth.... we were able to piece some things together and we still thought it was AMAZING both to experience as a show and to see from an artistic perspective. It was like a gallery and a show in one. I know I'm not doing a very good job of explaining, but it's not something you can explains, you just have to go! It's running through the end of September I think, so if you're in NY try to find a show that's not sold out, and GO!
After that we ate at a yummy nearby restaurant called The Red Cat, which I would also highly recommend. The tempura green beans especially! 

It was a good birthday and I hope the next year follows suit! 










2 comments:

Rae said...

You are so adorable. Sounds like a great birthday.
I can't believe I haven't heard of Sleep No More! Sounds awesome.
Have you gone to Fuerza Bruta? Also weird, and hard to explain, but if you haven't done it you should go!

mindy said...

SOunds like a prettty fun bday!! Happy belated bday!