Search this Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pine Wood Shores, NH.

For the Fourth of July we went out to my friend Jeremy's cabin in New Hampshire. I spent my 25th birthday weekend there last year and I think it's one of my favorite places in the entire U.S.
It was special to get to go back there again this time for a holiday weekend with one of my favorite people in the entire U.S.

The cabin is on a lake, in the boonies, with sprawling hills, tall trees, twisting back roads, and that small town family feel. I love it.

Saturday morning I slept in until a whopping 8am. When I dazily got up to go find Tom for a good morning snuggle he wasn't where I'd left him (in the garage loft w/ the guys). ME: "Has anyone seen Tom?" FRIEND: "He got up awhile ago, but I don't where he is..." ME: "Is the boat gone?" FRIEND: "Yeah, actually, it is." ME: "I know where he is!" Sure enough, he had me beat and was out wake-boarding at 7am.
Through out the day we (meaning me, Tom and 22 other friends) picked wild blueberries....
Ate some lobster....
Watched the sunset...
And then went fishing!
First Tom caught a fish....Not one to be outdone, I jumped in the boat and impressed him with my casting skills. That's right, this girl can fish! Unfortunately I wasn't able to impress with my reeling skills. When I did catch a fish, I began screaming for help and how I wasn't strong enough to pull him in. I yanked really hard, like I was taught last time I fished, when I was 9 and weighed less than the fish. Well, I'm not 9 anymore. Turns out, I'm big and strong! Really strong. Like pull my fish out of the water and fling him over the top of the paddle boat and back into the water kind of strong. For the record, he was big. We (4 of us) all saw him during the slow-motion event of him being flung over our heads. I like to think I discovered a better catch and release process. Who needs to gloat with pictures and pull out hooks? In the end, after further attempts, the fish had sent word of the crazy girl in the boat and I all I caught was seaweed.Until somehow my fishing line became ridiculously, annoyingly, inexplicably tangled around the rod. I've always prided myself on not having that happen. My pride is wounded. At least it took me 1/2 an hour, a good 20 casts, and a flying fish to get to this point!
It was another relaxing and adventurous weekend at the Cabin on the Lake.

No comments: