Search this Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

In With The New

Six weeks ago....
I gave notice to quit my much beloved job.
It was a tough, but right decision.
My last day with J & H is this Friday.
Too soon.
It feels like a mixed bag of suck-wonderful. Very bittersweet.
There are all kinds of things I'll miss.
And some I won't so much...
Career wise my new position is an excellent move and step forward for me.
I feel very proud of myself.
Emotionally it is very, very sad.
I will miss these faces in my daily line of vision SUPER-MEGA-A-LOT.
On the one hand I'm ready for a change.
On the other, I would've like to have stayed another couple years.
The only down side to my line of work is, they grow up so fast!
I have mostly succeeded at avoiding the new job topic altogether. Except at work of course where I've had the past month to talk about it with fellow nannies, moms, teachers, and the boys in preparation for the "Goodbye Day".
We even made a calendar.
The pasted picture on 5/27 of kids hugging and hands waving goodbye has been taunting me...
This week has felt very emotionally charged, but I try not to get too caught up in it.
It's not goodbye, but it's still a farewell.
Which means we still all make sad faces and pout about it when it comes up.
Of course I'll be around, and I'll always be part of their lives. Just in a different way now.
We can call, email, skype, etc.
There will be birthday parties (Jasper's belated one in July) and I hope to pop in to say hello or babysit when I can.
Even so, it's a big change after over three years, and that's the super sad part.
The part where I don't see all the people I'm used to or working with (the awesome team of staff and J & H's parents), people I've come to love and know so well, and of course don't see the boys.

Although they're not MY kids, there are definitely things I get nostalgic over and upcoming milestones I wish I could be around to see.
Because a part of them is mine and they are a part of me.
The part I taught and hassled and laughed with and tickled and time-outed and rewarded and wrestled and snuggled and band-aided and kissed and squeezed and loved.
That part is ours.
I know how hard the boys work, and many of their accomplishments feel like my own.
Probably because I worked really freaking hard to help them accomplish things!
I'll miss Hayden losing his first tooth, and starting a full day of school this Fall.
Jasper will be learning to ride a bike this summer and is building the Brooklyn Bridge next year in the VIIs class. A big event for the students and those who get to come see it. I really really want to see it!
The good news is we're having a sleep over at my house in a couple weeks, so we all have something extra special to look forward to and it doesn't feel too final.
This past week the new sitter has been shadowing me to learn the ropes and routine.
She's awesome. I really like her and think she's a good fit for the boys.
Throughout the interview and trial process for new sitters there was definitely a comfort to be found in knowing I can never be replaced.
A nanny / babysitter position is replaceable, but my bad-A skills are not.
There's only one me, and I'm simply the best! (Toot my own horn? Don't mind if I do!)
And I'll continue striving for that in my next endeavor as well.
I will really miss working in the West Village--the little shops and cafes I frequent, the neighborhood feel, the crossing guard I exchange hellos with about four times a day, the regular celebs I rub elbows with, their cute kids and relatable nannies, the parks and playgrounds I've become so accustomed to. I'll miss all that.
I'm Upper East Side bound again.
Two very different worlds.
Yet it's a bit like returning to my old stomping ground since I did work there for a year and a half for my first nanny job in the City, and I do know the area pretty well.

The new family has three kids: two boys the same ages as mine right now (7 and 4) and a baby girl (10 1/2 months). The same age as Hayden, when I met him. *sigh*
Out with one comfort zone, in with a new one.
They're all very sweet, cute kids and I'm looking forward to getting to know them more.
We've spent some time together over the past few weeks, and I feel good about the decision.
Fingers crossed!
I'm looking forward to having my hands full.
Let the new nanny adventures begin!

3 comments:

Rae said...

Those boys are too cute. This must be so hard! It is so obviously how great you are at your job. You'll have the new gig down in no time.
I know I've been sort of a slacker about getting together. Things are so freaking crazy for me right now and pretty much until the middle of June.
Let's regroup in a few weeks and make this happen?

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Why did you need to go? Couldn't you have stayed longer? :( Sad!

Cammy Fuller said...

Hooray for you. You will do well and the lucky family you are being a part of are so fortunate! What fun you have had. I imagine all your fun times and realize life changes--you're not in Auburn anymore!

Best of everything, and I will look forward to hearing about your new charges!

Take good care! That Tom seems like a keeper, for sure. Hope all is well. :)